A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, January 27, 2012

UFO tutorial - day 2

Here's where I started.

 Tonight I took out the rotary cutter and went to work. While I was deciding how to slice them, I wondered what would happen if I fan-folded them and cut through three layers at once. So I tried it.
Here I am, fan-folding the fabric.

 Now all three layers are together and it's time to put a slice through them.


                                   When I open it, here's what it looks like.
Three uneven cuts in one fell swoop and four sections. Later, I will cut it up again but in the meantime I will start with the two narrow sections in the middle and insert a strip between them.
 But then I think I'll flip one side top-to-bottom before I insert anything. 
 A strip of lime green batik that is lying around seems like a cheerful way to start.

 Since these blocks are different sizes (the reason they may never have been made into a quilt top)
 I decide to trim off the excess and put it aside.  Maybe I'll use it later for something else. Yes, I used a ruler, but really only when I trim. 

I don't know what I will do next but these blocks have a long way to go before I can make the swastikas disappear. Stay tuned.












3 comments:

  1. Il faut vraiment que j'essaie avec mes blocs, je n'ai pas pensé que je pouvais les coudre ensemble avant merci :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne, c'est la première fois que je l'essaie. Il ne faut que se demander "what if?".

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend recommended your blog, and your work reminds me of Gwen Marston's Liberated Quilts! LOVE em! There is a yahoo group called lib-quilters:liberated quilters, you would fit right in!

    Can't wait to look around your blog and see all the really cool stuff you have ... I mean HOT stuff!

    warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.