I lined the plastic fabric with the sparkly dress fabric I used to make a gown for my daughter's doll -- the same way I did the slippers.
A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
I have already gotten started on a different chapter in her book. An early chapter is on making and using strip sets. Here is a picture of an art quilt I am working on using strips sets and the Double F motif I have used before. It is not finished yet but I am really excited about it.
Monday, December 26, 2011
First I read the post by Kit who said the melted plastic was so thick that no needle would ever go through it. Then I read Lin's Arty Blog about making buttons. The two ideas came together and I thought, why not make buttons?
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Friday, December 23, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
"What?" you say, "You are giving away Rayna's new book, Create Your Own Free-Form Quilts?" Yes, we are and all you need to do is post a comment here to be entered to win. If you grab our Fire Blog logo for your blog, and leave us a comment to let us know, then you can be entered a second time.
I bought Rayna's book a few weeks ago and have been thrilled with it. It really is book that I can and do use. In fact, I am combining the double F motif I used in Nancy Crow's workshop with some strip sets I learned how to make from Rayna's book. No peeking yet but I think it will be a winning combination.
Monday, December 19, 2011
I am mostly satisfied with the texture on my compost fabric trees so now it is time to start auditioning leaves. Since I want a leaf with as much character as the tree trunks, I have tried burning a variety of types of fabric and non-fabrics. Here are my experiments and my results.
Next I photocopied some leaves that I had pressed. I wanted to have the copies to help with the size, shape, and veins of the leaves.
So then I moved on to melting plastic. I put some of the more promising polyester between some layers of Glad Wrap and took the iron to it. While it was still warm, I cut the melted stuff into leaf shapes. Pretty but not enough texture yet.
I also tried cutting the tyvek into a leaf shape and taking the heat gun to it for texture. Much better results burning the tyvek before sewing it down. Here are both the green tyvek leaf and the plastic leaves pinned on the trees. Beside it are the leaves on my quilt sandwich.
While I like several of the results, I am not satisfied that I have found the right leaf for the trees yet. I will let you know if it turns out to be plastic like this month's technique or tyvek like a couple of months ago.
Saturday, December 17, 2011
Then I covered with parchment paper and ironed it til it was fused together. It was pretty quick, I had two sets made in a few minutes.
I then took the fused "fabric" and sliced it into squares, rectangles, and cut some into circles.
I sewed some of the circles onto a piece of gauze-like fabric using a free motion stitch. It was kind of hard on my sewing machine, as the paint was too thick in parts, and kept gumming up my needle. If I ever do this again, I think a light wash of paint would be better for my machine.
This is a portion of the sewed piece, held up to my window so you can see the translucence and the stitching--
Another piece I created the same way, except I used squares instead of circles. Then I cut into a square, put a piece of ribbon through it, and now it's a homemade Christmas tree ornament.
This is a piece created using one of the plastic fabrics, cut into squares, then mounted onto a piece of a hospital laundry bag that dissolves in water, kind of like the dissolving stabilizers. My friend at work, Eileen, gave me one yesterday after I saw her blog post about them. I just sewed straight lines on the piece, instead of doing any fancy stitches, and then melted the laundry bag away.
This piece is going to be cut up, too, but I'm saving it til my week off after Christmas when I might have a little more free time!
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
For some reason this reminded me of pampers (which I never used - always cotton!- aah fiber)
So I decided to free motion to flatten the plastic puffs down and add more color.
Saturday, December 10, 2011
To help you prepare we are giving away an autographed copy of Rayna's book on Christmas day. Just leave a comment here for one chance to win. For a second chance, grab our blog button, post it on your blog, and leave us another comment with the link to your newly embellished blog.
Good luck to you! I am so excited for our January celebration!! I love Rayna's book!!!
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Sunday, December 4, 2011
I really like the look, but the wrap shrunk up at a different rate than the bags and I got all this cool texture.
I think I would like to try this with tiny snips of fabric sandwiched between the layers of plastic. And, of course, with paint.