A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Sunday, March 25, 2012
I knew it wasn't going to work like Beth's did as soon as I opened it, but I tried a mixture of 4 tablespoons of the print paste to a mason jar's worth of urea water and blended that up. No thickening whatsoever occurred - it remained the same texture as it was after I mixed it (with some pleasant foaming action lol) - but I added the dye powder in the recommended amount of 1 tsp powder to one cup print paste mixture and gave it a shot anyway.
The resulting liquid was about the texture of whole milk, so using a resist of any kind would have been futile, but I tried to work a design on the screens and after my first pull (washed, dried and with an iron print for your pleasure [I got distracted by our new dog!) this was the result :
Uninspiring, but I can certainly work the cloth some more (maybe some shibori discharging?). My second pull on the same screen:
Which I liked much better. And then I tried some smaller screens (8 x 10) with similar results:
Really just kind of a mess. After doing 4 screens of 2 or 3 pulls each, I gave it up as a bad job. Like I said above though - these pieces of fabric can be rescued with some other processes. And, not all was lost - I made some lovely painted, scrunched and shibori fabric pieces with the leftover print paste mixture that turned out beautifully!
I would try this again, but would have to order the proper tools for the job from the U.S. in order to get anything close to the results that the rest of you had. I was also thinking about using a base extender as the "print paste" as well - any guesses on how that might work?
No matter - as always, it was fun experimenting though!
Sunday, March 18, 2012
After a frantic couple of emails to Beth, I figured out that I was trying to spread dye thickener that was just too thick.
Friday, March 16, 2012
I'll show you my favorite first. This happens to be the last screen I worked with. It is my largest screen. The texture on the prints from this screen is more defined than on the others. I am a little surprised that the fuchsia color is so prominent. I used less of the fuchsia tinted print paste than any other.
Thursday, March 15, 2012
This week I am working on another deconstructed piece as well as sketching out and planning another piece that I made in a dream last night.
Monday, March 12, 2012
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Anyway, as I write this I have the three screens drying. Here they are...
I'm anxious to see how these will turn out, but I won't be able to get to them for a few days. I guess that will give them plenty of time to dry.
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
The bottom left picture reminds me of Coleus leaves