A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Saturday, November 29, 2014
Thursday, November 27, 2014
This summer Wil and I experimented with REAL egg shells (we had a lot of scrambled egg breakfasts for several days!) with paint inside. Then we threw the paint eggs at a canvas. Found out that I am one of those who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn....but....I do have a very artful driveway!
Anyway, that got me thinking and one thing led to another and I thought about balloons as a vehicle for color. Wanted to try it out before it snowed but most of you know how that goes sometimes. Life just doesn't cooperate!
So, I'm not coming to you today as an "expert" in this technique but more to discover together just what might happen if.......You are going to get to see the first experiments and then at the end I will tell you what I'm thinking is the next step. AND...I hope you guys will chime in with YOUR ideas as well!
*******This is a messy (but fun!) technique for dyeing so you WILL want to wear clothing you don't mind getting dye splattered.
fabric prepared to be dyed
dyes of your chosen colors (mixed and ready to go)
metal grids (optional)
First I started out with pre-dyed fabrics that were rather plain though. I soaked them in soda ash to prep them for the experiment.
For these I held the balloon about 3 or so feet above the fabrics.
Now we run very quickly indoors before the fabric freezes!!!.........
And here are the wet results.
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
I put these two face to face (dye side in) and sprayed both sides with soda ash water
I threw them in a plastic bag and the next morning popped it in my Dye Only microwave for 30 seconds. The next day I did the ones below.
* The video showed applying dye with a credit card. The fabric was untreated so I sprayed the back of the fabric with soda ash water then put the first two pieces face to face in a plastic bag and microwaved for a few minutes. The other pieces were wrapped in plastic and batched for a few hours with warm rice bags on them. The edges of the images were not blurred probably because the soda ash was sprayed on the back of the fabric.