A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

behind the scenes

Hi everybody!

I'm so excited to be a guest blogger this month and I promise to put up some real posts and tutorials when I'm finished writing my magazine article that is due next Monday (AARRGH!).  In the meantime, I'm getting all the posts and will comment when I can.  I've got one piece on the wall in process, created from strip sets and squares that I've cut up and put back together-- but I don't have time to finish it now.

In the meantime, here are a few "outtakes" that didn't make it into the color chapter of my book (maybe I need to write a whole 'nother book on the subject? What do you think?)  Anyway,  I was cutting up a UFO and showing some alternatives for what would work in terms of color. I confess that I don't usually do this -- I just work intuitively.  But here are some pix I took, just in case. When you are writing a book or an article (or a tutorial - LOL) you never know what photos you will want to use. 

 original block

 auditioning strips to insert

sliced and inserted into block, turning sections every which way.

block sliced again and more auditions below








Which colors would you choose?  Which would you guess I liked the best? 
Stay tuned! 





4 comments:

  1. Hey Beth B.,
    Take a look! Those are just your colors! I can see you doing a little happy dance.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ARE my colors and the set I like best is 4th from the bottom with the olive background. Purple and olive always ring my chimes! Thanks Rayna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh -- I'm going to have to dip into my orphan block box. I just knew I was saving those babies for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the black and white with blue dots, but Im not sure it has to do with color. I think you'd like the patterning! Susie

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.