A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Good night and good luck

With the closing bell of our blog, I was thinking of some of the internationally recognized artists that have shared over the years. Here is a short list:

Jane Dunnewold –Comlpex cloth
Rayna Goodman – improvisational quilting
Lisa Kerpoe - resists
Nienke Smit – dyeing and shibori
Kathy Loomis – tiny line quilting
Beata Kerchner – color theory and stitch
Mags Ramsey – painted quilt
Ann Johnston – Low water immersion dyeing


Now these are the “famous people” but our day to day, month to month blog posts were done by quilt artists and surface designers from all over the world. Maybe not so famous or with name recognition but they were the stalwarts who kept this blog going for seven years. There have been many contributors who wrote on the topics you can access on the right of the blog under the heading “Labels”. These were the women who volunteered as resident and visiting artists and who kept this blog fresh, relevant, readable and internationally recognized. I want to thank each and every person who contributed to making the FIRE blog what is has become – an amazing resource for surface design. The blog will stay up indefinitely as a “go to” resource for surface design and art quilting. Thank you again to all of our contributors. It has been wonderful being associated with you and this blog. 

11 comments:

  1. Brings tears to my eyes to say goodbye. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I shall miss seeing the Fire posts pop up in my email! I have learned so much during the past year (I was late discovering this great resource) and will be checking out past posts to see what I've missed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to add my thanks to all who have contributed! I will keep Fire bookmarked as my go to resource for all things surface design, just as I have a library of books in my studio that I refer to whenever I want to refresh my memory on a technique, or just to find ideas and inspiration for a project. Happy creating, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was my pleasure to serve as one of your guest artists!

    You all have done a great job of providing ideas and resources through the years -- sorry to see you stop. Thanks for keeping up the blog as a reference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really going to miss this blog but will refer to it often. I have learned so so much from all these wonderful and accomplished artists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for providing this comprehensive resource! And thank you for keeping it up indefinitely!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks much-needed for all you have shared with the world through the Fire Blog and your own blog and studio. You rocked my world! And it was such an honor to be a Fire Blog artist a couple of years. I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the wealth of information you have shared with us all. I too came late to your blog and will miss seeing it. Will definitely be revisiting for more information. :-) Pam Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should like to send a very big thank you to Beth for asking me to be a part of the Fire blog. I had been following for some time when Nienke called for people to join her in Stitched Shibori experiments and post our results on the blog. This was great fun and a wonderful international co operation. Following this I was asked to join the resident artists and post for a month on the blog. This was a valuable experience and I am very grateful and indebted to Nienke and Beth to have been asked. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.