A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Priming the creative pump!




I read about this book on someone's blog and I got it. I am always looking for ways to "prime the pump" and get those creative juices flowing. The Trickster Hat can be seen here on Amazon and it's a "Look Inside " book so just click through. It started with some fairly quick and small projects one of which I found very clever.

The task for that day was to draw a rectangle 1.5 X 3" and make a paper collage using old postage stamps. It was fun and I even liked my 15 minute "art piece".



By day 4 the projects were getting longer - like an hour or two and although they sounded great, I was too impatient to start them. I think during the winter when the allure of the outdoors is waning, I might try a few. The exercises certainly pushed me outside the box.

Another quick pump primer I loved was creating a quick art work on luggage tags. While I was having chemo, I made one as many days as I could and loved the challenge of coming up with ideas. I did collage, sketch and even painted one. What great fun.



This last technique I heard about from a quilter in New York, Victoria Findlay Wolf . She said she simply took scraps of fabric and sewed them togtehr for about 15 minutes each morning. Kind of reminded me of Rayna Gillman month of posts on the FIRE blog and her book "Create your own free form quilts". I was going to have a second look at the book but I gave my copy away. Think I'll ask Judith to lend me her copy.





So I will pass along the fun and give-away a copy of the Tricksters Hat. Leave a comment. Happy Creating!!

19 comments:

  1. Doing a daily creative 'thing' really works. At the moment Kelly and I are doing a daily drawing and we can see progress. Okay I admit there are days that neither of us can find the time/energy to do the drawing, but we catch up later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Beth for drawing my attention to this book.
    Added to my Christmas list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you! I have never heard of this book and the preview on Amazon is so fun. I like the table of contents as well as the free preview.
    I will grab my box of scraps and do some free form sewing tonight.
    ~ Christina in Cleveland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Nick Bantock. Bet this book is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beginning the day with a small creative exercise is a great way to get my brain in gear. I like to make ATCs and fabric postcards to exchange with fellow artists. Thanks for the giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your old postage stamp piece! It is always neat to find new inspiration but when I read the editorial review on Amazon "...exercises to encourage readers to tap their creative juices, and it advocates mischief, out-of-the-box thinking, and a sense of play adults rarely get to enjoy." I thought to myself - That is how I feel every time I visit "... And Then We Set It On Fire" Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever Nick! It would be just like me to read another book instead of actually making art. Thanks for the inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Beth! I have Rayna Gillmans book and have made rather many quilts in her atyle. Very funny!
    Hugs
    Gunilla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to have this book. I need all the inspiration I can get. Thanks for the chance.

    mabear29@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great advice, will look for it so I have my 'first aid box' available when the creative juices won't flow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a daily creative habit is a good place for me to start. Not sure how I can best implement that but I know I can do it. This looks like a really interesting book, I will have to watch out for it.
    If I don't win it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just turning away from my study on procrastination and one advice is to suffer for 15 minutes. LOL This is timely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the heads up about this book. I've been trying to sketch daily and find it meditative. Also find I'm looking at the world more closely.
    Love the luggage tags!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. I am always looking for inspiration and this looks interesting and fun;specially when I don't have a lot of time but know I will benefit if I take that time out. This book will go on my wish list. Good luck to the lucky winner....& thank you for your generosity in the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun book! Any inspiration is good and this one does look inspiring.
    Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover of the book itself sparks creativity! Pick me! Pick me! Thanks for the book review. If I don't win I may have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Creating work is challenging. Naming that work can be even more challenging. The tricksters hat is a great name because it draws you in with the promise of something a bit mysterious yet bound to be fun. I hope to check the book out the next time I am in a book store. It is intriguing...and who doesn't need a creativity booster now and then?

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.