A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

layered painting

This is my first post on this blog and I hope you like the technique I want to share with you:-). What you need for this technique is different types of paint, foam brushes and a surface to paint on. I worked with textile paints (opaque and transparent) and acrylics. The surfaces I used were fabric, brown wrapping paper and canvas. The fabric I used was a hand dyed one, which looked dull and definately needed more.


Prepare your working space by covering it with a piece of plastic or with old newspapers. Crunch your fabric or paper and iron it flat. 


The colors will overlap. Keep this in mind when you pick your first color. If you start with a yellow transparent and use a blue one for the next session, you will have green. Pick a color of paint and a foam brush and dabb the paint so that it looks like this:

 



No need to be precise when you dabb the paint. Let it dry and iron your pieces. They will look like this:


Not yet very interesting, but that will change because we are going to repeat this process several times. You can apply as many layers of paint as you want. Till you have an interesting looking result. This is how my samples looked at the end:


It was the first time that I used canvas for this technique and I discovered that the thickness of the material made it difficult to use. Even after ironing it did not want to stay flat but remained like this:


I applied the paint as best as I could, but for the next sessions I folded straight line and ironed these. That worked much better.


 I hope you liked this technique.







5 comments:

  1. Wil, I am intrigued by this technique! I have seen shirts dyed that looked like this technique was used, but now I'm thinking maybe it was fabric paints that were used. And how do you press the brown wrapping paper once you have applied the paints, without scorching it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I press from the back. Never had any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of ways to apply this technique! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yet another wonderful use for leftover paints!!! YAY!! Sounds like a 2015 project to me!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.