A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Tuesday, October 7, 2014
My first week with stitch shibori
Hello, my name is Eke Krug and today it's my turn to show the results of the first week Shibori with the straight lines.
First I will introduce myself.
I am a Dutch woman, but live in Norway since more than five years. It is very nice to live here, the silence, no stress and to be inspired by Norway's beautiful nature. Last month we moved to another house in another area, and now at last I have my own working room. I hope to spent a lot of time in that!
Since several years now, I work a lot with fabric, making jewelry with it and I started quilting and dyeing.
I am always busy
making things and enjoy especially to experiment with new techniques
When I read on this blog that the idea was to inspire
people with new techniques every day of the month, during a year, I
thought that was a great idea and hoped that I could join that, one way,
or the other.
So when NienkeSmit announced the shibori month, I wrote her and asked if I could be in, and here I am.
The first week of this October month, as you already know, we work with straight lines. My choice is a linen blend fabric to work with, 55% linen and 45% cotton. A fabric that I only know from dyeing. The only stich shibori I did before was on silk and didn't have very good results. I started to stitch with buttonhole thread, it seemed a good idea, because of the strength and the color was different from my fabric. For the dyeing I use Procion MX, in different assemblies. For this series I used turquoise and onyx, in three different combinations, 70/30, 50/50 and 30/70%.
The first lines, on paper.
The first stitches.
And after dyeing.
The colors are not so good as the real ones, but they give a good impression.
There were to
problems on my way.
The first was, that the thread I used was too thick
to get it nicely through the fabric. Because I used a linen blend it
wasn't to bad, but the next time I will change the thread.
problem was the knotting with this buttonhole thread. It was difficult
and as you can see in the examples, not all the knots were good ones.
But in the end I am happy with the reults and I look forward tothe second week,with curved lines, starting tomorrow with Nienke Smit.