Now we are getting into the area of not only perceived texture but also actual texture...and a mixture of both!
So, let's get right to it........
Another group I have been a part of once decided to do a twist on the "fractured art quilt" concept. We started with a drawing of the Canal Houses in Amsterdam, split them up, designed each individual house as a separate piece, exchanged them and when we received the swapped pieces - made a wall hanging art quilt for ourselves. Everyone, of course, had their own take on how to attack this project but there was a lot of fabric manipulation going on! I can only show you the pieces I did and which were sent to be swapped. (No....unfortunately, I can't show you the completed wall hanging....I haven't put mine together as yet.)
There are usually several techniques in each house so I'll post the photo and then the description of the techniques used. (due to the VERY vertical nature of the houses, a full photo of them is difficult but I WILL add closeups of pertinent parts)
For this house I wanted to create a ripple water feel. I chose one of my blue hand-dyed fabrics, ironed parallel pleat sets into it (I wasn't really precise about the pleats as they would be for an organic look anyway) I then stitched the pleats down in opposite directions to create a wavy effect.
I also used a decorative stitch on my sewing machine to make the "carved wood" around the attic window.
**Added note - texture with dye - a tied shibori piece I had in my stash I love the look this created for a sky.
- texture with paint - I had a piece of lino cut I had used for bricks on another piece. Painted it with black and used it on this "brick" house as well.
The finished fabric I used for this piece is in the upper right
Created lines and cut out the poppy masks (on the right). Place the fabric over the dye and press