A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, August 22, 2014

FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY!! - week 3

Well, another week completed and getting ready for the weekend!

Before I post a couple of things from you guys, there is one more texture circle from Wil and her final composition into a quilt that I want to give you.

Trapunto - A little differently

This is the last sample I am going to show you. I know that there are more ways of manipulating fabric to create texture, but by now my quilt was about ready J.
This sample is a version of trapunto. I started with a square of blue fabric and a plain white one and placed 
these on top of each other.


With a twin needle I stitched wavy lines on it. To get a circle I pinned a piece of paper on it and cut the circle out of the fabric.

To create the trapunto effect I pulled 2 pearl cotton threads through each tunnel. As the stitched lines could unravel I had to do this carefully. If I had stitched the circle before I did this, I would have had trouble getting the pearl cotton through.


After I got the texture I wanted I could stitch the fabric close to the edge and cut away the visible pearl cotton thread. This is how the circle turned out:



This is the last sample I made for my texture quilt. I am a member of Stitched Art Textiles group  and my theme this year is circles. When Kelly invited me to help her with the texture theme I knew that I had to make a quilt for this group. Here is the result:

The blue fabrics I used are my own hand dyed ones plus a sunprinted one. The background is a green snow dyed fabric.


I hope you had fun creating your own texture pieces.

And thanks, Wil, for sharing your process and results with us!

LET  THE  FREE  FOR  ALL  BEGIN!!!

To end up this week, I will also add a couple of my own pieces just as examples of using techniques in your work.

First is a piece I did entitled "Limbo". This was in a series called "Who I Am".  Limbo seems to be a constant state of being in my life so it seemed appropriate to express that in my art. Lush green out of reach, a cliff at my back, balanced on only one rock over the looming abyss.  The challenge was...how to give the feel of the seemingly bottomless and churning abyss. I chose a synthetic organza and stitched purposefully in a very random manner. Then I zapped it with the heat gun creating wrinkles and holes. Here is the result. (There is black cloth behind it just for the photograph, in reality it is just open)


One of my favorites was a shibori technique taught by Nienke last year (here is the link: http://andthenwesetitonfire.blogspot.com/2012/10/3d-shibori-on-polyester.html). I used coins to create the flat "bubbles" in synthetic organza (Actually, the same one I used above). It found a home in this Intuitive Creativity experiment. I had such fun hearing from others about what all it reminded them of that I just settled on "Deep Purple" and let everyone make up their own meaning!

Bonus Texture note: The bottom right is melted through Angelina and the three objects are from yarn-wrapped, melted Tyvek "beads"

Ann Scott sent in these photos of some arashi shibori. I love how this technique creates such a wonderfully textural feel!

 
detail

And also from Ann, a 3-D Fern piece she did which was inspired by a photo taken by her son.



detail

I just love how fabric manipulation and stitching can be used for so many feels...from abstract to a more exact representation!!

For those of you who might wonder about what the Canal House wall hanging might look like when completed....Wil sent a photo of her completed piece:


Eileen Gidman sent in these photos:

Photo 1: Orange Poppies - Was hand painted with dyes onto a very fine cotton fabric (lawn) to create the ethereal look when sewn.

Photo 2: Three Roses - Hand painted with dyes 3 times. The first time painted, it was painted with very light colors brushed on without an image in mind. The second and third time I added the roses details and negative painting for the leave. The textural sewing really bought this piece to life. 




Thanks everyone for sharing!!

Next week we will be looking at Creating Texture with Mixed Media and Fun Bits. See you on Monday!

And now, as this week fades away....your Moment of Texture





8 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting week and I learned a lot. Thank you all for the tutorials and beautiful things you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is... WOW!!! I am totally blown away by these examples of textures, and have to give some of them a try! Thanks so much, Kelly, Wil, Ann and Eileen for your examples... very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great seeing these textural pieces online but imagine how much better it would be to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to see the houses piece finished. All of the circle techniques, the beautiful floral pillows and "Limbo" so creative and full of meaning. Thanks everyone - all so very encouraging and helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pieces Wil and Eileen showed!!! How inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pieces! Thanks for sharing them. An easier way to get the trapunto effect when using the twin needles is just to put a piece of cotton batting behind it before stitching It really looks like it was trapuntoed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEH! I'm so glad you guys enjoyed this week!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.