It started as a small painted whole cloth, to that I stitched cut up canvas and quilted it on (used gel medium too), then painted cheese cloth and stitched it on. The entire piece is attached to a canvas. I really love the piece and think it is one of my best abstracts… so far! -- Ann
One last thing from me today. Although it's not in the theme of this week.
Yesterday I had one of those "need to experiment" days. A while ago I learned a technique on paper that suddenly hit me that needed to be tried out on fabric! So, I'm going to let you in on what went on in my brain for this one - scary prospect though that may be! First....thinking, thinking, thinking....how on earth would I go about this? Then decided the best first steps to take and got busy. I say first steps because as often happens, experiments trigger perhaps a better way to do something. So, today you are my guinea pigs. I hope if it inspires you to try it another way you will let me know!!
The technique that intrigued me was a method for making a peeling paint look. On paper, you take vaseline and brush it on in random strokes. Then you paint over it with acrylic paint. When the paint has dried, you can wipe off the page and all the areas masked by vaseline reveal the paint underneath the overcoat! I LOVE the look of it. So......I wondered what would happen if.........
I got out the vaseline and brushed it on with a very old and abused paint brush. (this is the upper right corner of the fabric. I was so excited about what was might happen, I almost forgot to take a process photo!)
Then I picked out a light blue acrylic and with a sponge brush, painted it over the whole piece. I did dilute the acrylic but ever so little (sorry....I hardly ever measure)