A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Shibori--Discharge Dyeing

I decided to do a bit more discharge shibori before I put all my supplies away. This piece is a bit different from the others I posted. I loosely rolled my black fabric (Blank Textiles 100% cotton) onto a piece of nylon string (on the diagonal). Then I scrunched it up as tight as I could and tied the string together to keep its shape. (I ended up having to do this twice; the first time, only half of the fabric had discharged.) I think it looks like some kind of animal skin.
 This is what it looked like before the bleach bath.
I found a great resource for discharge dyeing. If you are interested, check out www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3720/dyeing-with-bleach.


Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.