A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, January 3, 2011

My first ever pole wrapped shobori


OK. I was pretty jazzed this morning knowing I would have a chunk of time to try this technique. It was a cross between just jumping in the cold water and ripping off the bandaid...Yicks!!
I stated out cutting a bunch of fat halfs. I use this technique to cut lengths of fabric to eliminate the long unraveling threads on the cut edge. I measure my length (1 yard), fold and make a diagonal cut ( 1/2 ") on the one yard line, then tear. No strangely annoying threads strangling my fabric in the washer. Sorry about the 2 blurry pics.





Blurry but you get the idea. This is a real frustration saver. Can't remember where I saw this hint. Next I washed all fabric in hot water with Prosapol (Synthrpol). Next I soda soaked the first piece.
Then I laid out the fabric on my work table, folded fabric in half to make the fat half 18X22.

Then I wrapped the fabric diagonally on to the pole.

I attached rubber bands at the top and bottom and slid the fabric down to the bottom and scrunched it up as tightly as possible.
I had some great nylon twine that would have been great but after searching my entire barn, I remembered a man dumped crushed rock right where I had laid it down. Won't be seeing that twine any time soon. I had purchased this beautiful hemp for jewelry making so since I didn't feel like running out to buy twine, I decided to use that. I was afraid the hemp might soak up the dye too much and ruin thew resist but I tried it first. I tied a loop to start

then threaded the end of the twine through the loop and made a noose around the fabric and started wrapping. At the end I made another loop about a foot from the end, wrapped to the end and threaded the end through the second loop and made a half hitch to secure it.

Then I applied the indigo colored dye (ProChemical) with a foam brush HEAVILY until it puddled on the table. I rolled it around in the dye to make sure it was soaked and put a plastic bag on the end.







This thought just jumped out at me from the universe: Why not heat up my Thera Pac for my neck (a hot rice bag) and place it around the dyed fabric to keep it warm and speed the batching. You have to realize it's COLD here in Maine so I was going for all the warmth I could get.
After only an hour, I rinsed with pretty hot water, cut the rope, unwrapped and removed the fabric. Then I washed it in HOT water and prosapol in a basin.
and here it is dried and ironed

Here are some pics of Khaki that I wrapped straight. I don't think I like it and I found the ink on the pipe came off on the fabric.


print from pipe.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Judith. I forgot to mention I used a Mr. Clean eraser sponge to get most of the ink off the pipe. More pieces coming tomorrow. They are drying now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I already commented on your personal blog, but I'll also comment here. Love them both!! If you don't like the khaki one as is, you can always re-shibori it in a color like orange or rust and see how it turns out.

    Also, I've learned that if you use wet fabric when wrapping around the pole, you get more white in your finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, These are both fabulous! I am partial to the indigo, but the khaki is really speaking to me. I can see wheat fields in the snow....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you mention it, I see them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool stuff! Have you tried wrapping around a cord and bunching up to dye? I did it with silk, dyed it blue and it turned out great - like a blue sky filled with little choppy, fluffy clouds.
    Unwrapping was quite a pain but worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.