A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mokume Shibori

I used the Dec 2009/ Jan 2010 Quilting Arts magazine for the instructions on how to do this technique, which is shibori using thread to make the folds in the fabric in controlled ways.  If you follow the magazine's instructions, it's fairly straightforward.  You sew running stitches with strong thread and pull them up to make a tight bundle in which you paint on the dye to get this shibori effect.  I changed the directions in that I wondered if you could input a design into the shibori, and I fell back on my trusty OCTO design and I was very pleased how he turned out.  I drew him onto the fabric to place my stitches in the right places.  You do have to remember that your stitches need to be on top in order for the design to "recede" so he doesn't get painted with dye.  You also do not see here my air erasable pen lines that I drew so my stitches lined up nicely.
Doing this wasn't really hard, just time consuming.
All stitches pulled tight and knotted.  Yes, this part was a pain.
I am not a big "dye" person (unless you count my hair). I don't have all the chemicals and stuff, so I opted for RIT Dye. You only use a tiny bit and I used very hot dye and a dry fabric bundle so it would not run.  I know that this technique can have a lot of "accidents" but I was pleased that the design was there when I took out the stitches.  It worked out very nicely.
Stitches out, after ironing
Octopus with stitched outline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.