A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Painting Techniques day 9

More Monoprinting

Yes, I am not finished with monoprinting. This I think will be something different you might not have ever seen before. I learned to do this from a friend, Margaret Sheehan, from New Hampshire.

This first one is done on a sheet of poly film with a potato masher. I think I am using 6 mil which is pretty heavy. I painted some paint on to the poly film and pushed the potato masher through it as I twisted my wrist.

Lay on the fabric and rub the surface.

I love this

I just added some more turquoise to the center since there seemed to be plenty of purple still on the poly.

These are prints I pulled previously onto organza

You might remember my smacker. I learned about this technique from a local woman who learned it at a workshop.

What a wonderful texture.

Since I can't stand to waste paint I thought why not  take a print off the glass.

There was still paint left so I misted with water and took another blotty print.

More interesting texture.


  1. How fun! I love the potato masher design... like a Chrysanthemum!

  2. Great image achieved with the masher Beth. Would make a good Thermofax.

  3. To expand on the Smacker technique, use 2 pieces of Plexiglas, put paint or thickened dye on one, smoosh the second on against it. Then, stand the 2 pieces up together vertically and pull apart. Take the monoprint from both pieces. The separation while vertical, keeps an equal amount of paint/dye on each plate. If you try to separate horizontally, the bottom plate will have a heavier load of paint/dye than the top piece. Gravity interferes with everything! I got some beautiful coral patterns using this technique, just by tweaking where I squirted the thickened dye I was using.

    I really like the masher technique. It really does look like a large Chrysanthemum!


Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.