A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Molding Paste, Glass Bead Paste and Lutradur....

 I found molding paste in a kit at my local craft store when I was looking for matte medium . 

Golden brand molding paste is described on the art supply web site dickblick as the following " Molding Pastes, also called Modeling Pastes, can be used to add textured relief to a painting. Create thick impasto layers, Mix them with other products, such as Golden Acrylic colors. Molding Pastes are water-based, formulated with 100% acrylic polymer emulsions. Non-toxic.


I know there are other products on the market but this is the one that I have tried. It is fun and easy to use  molding paste with your stencils. And it is molding paste gives a great relief onto many surfaces as well as Lutradur. 

I added some acrylic paint to the Golden molding paste. Start with a small amount. You can always add more to get the colour you wish to achieve.


Adding paint to the Golden Molding Paste


Mix Well and add more paint if desired


Apply with a old key card or with a palette knife 


Lift Stencil and let dry. Scrape leftover molding paste off of you stencil to reuse the excess. 
.
Here is a close up 





 You can also use glass bead medium to put paint in and then put through stencils.



 You could use the molding paste or glass bead without paint in it and use paint on top of it after.  I love the texture you get with the molding paste and the glass bead paste.


Here are a few more pictures of using molding paste painted. 





I am going to add some detail on top of the molding paste when I use it for my projects. And probably add colour washes to the background Lutradur. 

I really like this technique. 

Whats up next?  Mono Printing and Lutradur.... 

Don't for get to add comments to enter the giveaways. Check Thursday, May 15th to find out how. 

Its a long weekend in Canada starting today. Victoria Day celebrating Queen Victoria of Britain. 
So it is off to the cottage with me and part of my family. 
For everyone in Canada have a good and safe holiday. 

Jo

6 comments:

  1. Molding paste is GREAT! I stamp on it with my self carved stamps. See my blog,http://quiltaart.blogspot.nl/2014/03/uitproberen.html.
    Have fun with it.
    Aart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use Golden's Light Molding Paste. It remains flexible when dry and can be easily stitched through. To give Lutradur a really lacy look, stencil it with light molding paste, let the paste dry completely, then use a heat gun to melt some of the Lutradur. If you melt too much, the piece will fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Kemshall did a video on using the bead molding paste but your post really shows up the pieces...thanks so much!!! Really enjoyed this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips ladies! I can't wait to try the light moulding paste, stamps, and checking out the links.

    It is so hard to photograph fabric art and surface treatments. The three d effect and textures rarely show up well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops sorry Aart.. I should have said ladies and gentlemen!
    My excuse is using the I pad mini with no glasses on.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.