A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Oranges and Oranges

At Nienke's suggestion Beth used citrus fruit to make a deconstructed screen print.  She has already written about it on the blog.  Here is her set up and here are her results.  She did it the day before our play date to see if it would work.   She saved the fruit for me to try.  Without seeing her process I also tried deconstructing the fruit.  My process was very different.  I dipped the fruit in thickened dye and stamped it on the screen, let the screen dry, and then deconstructed it with a thickened dye paste with soda ash.  You'll see little circles between the fruit.  There were thickened dye applied with a syringe to the screen at the same time I stamped the fruit. There was just so much space between the fruit.

Here is the set-up. 
(Beth took the picture before I decided to add the tiny circles.  You can see why I added the circles.)



Here are the results.
 An overall picture.  The top is a deconstruction of stamping on the screen with the edge of corrugated cardboard that I did at the same time. 


A first pull and below is a close up. 
 

Below is a later print--maybe #4


Comparison
The benefit of having play dates with another artist is to see the different results.  

 1.  I got much more distinct prints than Beth.

2.  Beth got lots more prints from her method.  I got maybe 4-5 before there was so little dye paste left to deconstruct that it was extremely boring.

Which of us got it right?  Depends on the results you want.  Nice to know for the next time I want to deconstruct.

Judith

2 comments:

  1. I like them both! And I like the overall result you got by adding the circles... more visual interest. And I definitely agree about play dates - I can only think of so much on my own, but am inspired by watching what others do. Probably why I love this blog so much... a constant play date! Thanks, Judith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting the soda ash in the print paste is different than what I am used to with having the soda ash in the fabric. I look forward to trying this method.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.