A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Monday, July 28, 2014
About five or six years ago I "painted my first piece of fabric. I used lots of techniques similar to the past self round robin that I just finished. I used some of the painted fabric to cover a small (4 X 6") lined notebook that I carried in my purse. It got so much abuse in my purse that the beaded edge came of in a small area. In addition to the surface design techniques I used on it, I also attached a small Shisha mirror. The embroidery technique was very complicated and I could never remember how it worked. I found a fabulous and EASY method for attaching shisha mirrors.
You'll recognize some of these stamps. You can see the reflection of my finger in the mirror.
Next is a short story. When I was a kid, my grandmother used to buy me the "Doll of the Year" every birthday/christmas - within a week of each other. So this one year I wanted a doll called Poor Pitiful Pearl. She came with a dark dress, black socks and shoes and a babushka.
She also came with a pretty white party dress, white shoe and socks and YOU could save poor pitiful Pearl and bring her joy!! I loved that doll but my mother hated it and threw it away. As an adult, I bought another one.
Over the course of time the binding which I made with used color catchers wore out. This material which is like a spun polyester was made to absorb dye during a wash load NOT last for years with daily use.
Opened up and waiting for new bindings
These two will get new bindings and return to active duty, dressing up my pathetic coffee cup!
This one still looks OK. The fabric was a clean-up rag. Always the best looking fabric (sigh)
Now I have loads of new fabrics to make new dresses from. I will wait until after the giveaway to make the new frocks. But just to give you a few ideas about what you can do with this fabric:
- coffee cup dress
- book cover
- small purse - I'm making one tomorrow
- make-up bag
- pin cushion
Friday, July 25, 2014
When I was going through my fabric stash looking for likely
I badly needed a new purse and if I folded this is half it was just about the perfect size. Hum...let me see. There were bits of these colors.
So I decided to thermofax screen some ginkgo leaves in all three colors.
Now I need a lining fabric. I think mint green is one of the ugliest colors ever created!! BUT, I needed a light colored fabric so my old eyes could actually see inside the purse, plus I had it in my stash so....
Fabric trimmed square, horrible green about to be trimmed to size and a binding color needed to be chosen. Second from top I think!
I stitched it up with my new Baby Lock Eclipse which I bought myself for living through chemo and radiation. It threads itself by vacuuming the thread through the lower loopers. Be still my heart!!
I made the box seam on the bottom then...
Cut, ironed, folded, and ironed in half both the binding and the handle fabric
I cut a half inch wide strip of warm and nature cotton batting for inside the handle for heft, strength, and a dense surface for stitching.
Binding was attached with the cut edge (top) of the purse like binding on a quilt. I started the binding with about 4" unattached so that at the end I could get a perfect fit. You can see the seam in the center top edge of the picture.
After ironing the seam open, I stitched it down with a double row of stitching.
I also tacked the "corners" of the box shape to keep the purse square and not so floppy.
I was out of magnetic snaps so I just ordered them from ebay. I usually use the poke through kind. I have various ways of hiding the metal plate on the outside but
This time I also ordered some sew in kind. First I will use some E6000 fabric adhesive then stitch them down as well.