A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Round Robin Solo Style - Epilog from Judy

As promised, I spent some time studying my fabric after round 5.  The first thing I decided was that some of my colors were not as bright as I had hoped for, and I decided to use some Dye-Na-Flow to over paint the areas.  I have not used Dye-Na-Flow much, but have seen how well it works for some other fiber artists, so I dug out my yellow, orange and pink.  Here is how it looked afterward:

I was very pleased with the increased brightness, and glad I decided to give it a try!  At this point, I still wasn’t sure how I would use the fabric, so I studied it awhile longer.  Finally, I decided I didn’t want to cut it up… it was a good candidate for a whole-cloth art quilt.  I rummaged around and found I had enough batting, and a large piece of black hand dyed muslin for the backing.  So with not too much else in mind, I set about to start free-motion quilting.  The first area I stitched was the section just above the middle where the yellow stripe has black on either side (remember how the dye migrated after I painted it over the batik?).  I just followed the zigzag design across.

Then I went to the section just below and followed the black stripes the same way.  Next, I outlined the organic shapes made by using a lotus pod to apply wax.  So far, I had been using black thread (which, by the way, drove me crazy because the thread was slubby and kept breaking!).

When I finished those three sections, I studied the piece a little.  The batik swirls had not come out too clear, and I thought maybe using contrasting embroidery floss to hand stitch the design might be fun:

L-R: Running stitch, Couched floss, and a straight stitch across the swirls using some hand dyed variegated floss.
Next, I studied the screen printing I did towards the bottom.  I decided using free-motion to follow the lines would be best – I really didn’t want to interfere with the screen design:
Above, the section on the right has been stitched.  I did a little creative fill-in in some areas where the screen stopped, and will probably do something similar to join the sections where one print ended and the next began.
I’m not totally sure yet what will be done to the rest, but wanted you to get an idea of how I am using the fabric  I hope you have enjoyed watching this piece come together so far, and I also hope you have been inspired to get out the dyes, paints, wax and whatever else you have waiting to be put to use!

Tomorrow I will be discussing some of the techniques I didn’t use for this piece that were mentioned in my first post.  I have some examples to show you  where I have used some, and a challenge for you as well! 

1 comment:

  1. The added paint did the trick and I like the way you quilted it as well.


Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.