A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, January 22, 2016

More Happenings--Beth Schnellenberger

I especially love having my pieces juried into shows that are open to every type of art. I really like the fact that fiber art is being juried into all-media shows. The Mid-States Craft Exhibition includes sculpture, jewelry, painting, woodworking, ceramics, metalwork, and more. Three of my pieces have been chosen for the Mid-States Craft Exhibition at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History and Science in Evansville, Indiana, (one at a previous exhibit and two for the exhibit occurring January 17-March 6, 2016).

"Zen" made it into a previous exhibit.

"Zen" (30" X 24" X 1.5")
"Zen" detail

"Zen" has LOTS of hand stitching. In the detail shot, you can see the many French knots, stem stitch, and satin stitch embroidery that make up a big section of the piece. Zen measures 24" X 30".

These next two pieces are in the current Mid-States exhibit.

"Metamorphosis I" (25" X 25" X 1.5")
Detail "Metamorphosis I"
Detail "Metamorphosis I"
"Black, White, and Red All Over" (26.25" X 36.5")
I guess you can tell by looking at my work that I REALLY like handwork. "Metamorphosis I" is an example of my "extreme embroidery" work. The figure is TOTALLY made up of hand embroidered stitches. "Black, White, and Red All Over" is hand quilted, hand embroidered, and hand beaded. I also made all the lime green yoyos by hand.

I'm excited, too, that I have some work in Jane Dunnewold's latest book called Creative Strength Training due out in June. You can find more information about it here. I'm not sure which pieces actually made it into the book (since it is on preorder), but I'm pretty sure "Spike" made it in.

"Brain Freeze" aka "Spike"
"Spike" appeared in Jane's Quilting Arts Magazine "Unbound, Thoughts on Making; What Does Alignment Look Like to You" article. The article is in the August/September 2015 issue (Page 22).
Nobody has been more surprised than me at the positive reception of my work. I truly feel blessed.

7 comments:

  1. Fabulous work, Beth! You have definitely created your own unique style and signature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pieces. Very creative and wonderful handwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is phenomenal! Kudos on your acceptances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these pieces are so cool! I am a "detail" person, these are pieces that require lots of time to soak in all the delicious detail....fantastic work! Congrats on having your work in this newest publication ....exciting and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, congrats there lady!!! And how could we not be "receptive" to your work! It's all wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the zentangles. I am inspired by all your intense embroidery.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.