A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

This is What I've Been Up To--Beth Schnellenberger

After the success of selling some of my work and some positive encouragement from friends, I decided to try to get some of my work into some national/international shows. I ended up having two pieces juried into the Sacred Threads Exhibition in 2015. (I was THRILLED!) My husband and I got to attend the show (in Virginia) and had the most marvelous time. Here are my pieces from that show.

"And Then We Pray"

This piece was inspired by a photograph I saw in a newspaper which depicted mourners praying over the coffins of security forces killed in Fallujah, Iraq. I wrote quotes about war and peace on the gray background fabric. The coffins are hand embroidered.

Detail photo of "And Then We Pray"
This next piece that made it into the show, "Final Separation," is about being separated from my Mom by Alzheimer's and, ultimately, by death. There is a hidden quote by Washington Irving on the piece which is hand embroidered in black on the left-hand side between the heart and the diagonal "track." It reads--"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love."
"Final Separation"
Detail of "Final Separation"
I was really excited when “Final Separation” (one of forty) was chosen for the Sacred Threads traveling exhibit which means it will be touring for two years. If you’d like to hear me tell the story of "Final Separation," click HERE. In partnership with the Quilt Alliance, Sacred Threads is able to share video clips of the artists telling the stories of their quilts. (If you check out the video, I said my Mom passed away in 2012. That isn't correct. I was SO nervous AND SCARED about doing the video I misspoke; she actually died in 2010--how embarrassing!) I was really touched by this show; I want to share more of it with you. There is a gallery "walk" here, where you can see all of the quilts from the 2015 show; and there is a documentary about the show here.
I have another show and another thing or two I'd like to talk to you about in my next blog post; and in subsequent posts, I'll show you some things I have in the works right now. I'll also show you a couple of the techniques I've been utilizing--English paper piecing and what I call "extreme embroidery." I've even included a little "extreme embroidery" project.

5 comments:

  1. You have done some beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your work, especially the handwork. I also had two quilts juried into Sacred Threads, and was so thrilled with the whole experience. I only wish I had been able to attend in person. Congratulations on your quilt being chosen for the traveling show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beth.

    Debby, I wish you could have gone to Sacred Threads too. It was such a great experience. Congratulations on having your pieces chosen to be in the 2015 exhibit. Thanks for the congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pieces and thank you so much for the link to the gallery walk.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.