A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, April 11, 2011

My parfait dye attempt--jdemilo

Like Laura, I tried a parfait dye a week ago but haven't had time to post it.  I didn't follow exactly the directions given by Rosalita.  I don't wait in between the different dyes and I start out with some dye in the bottom of the container before adding any fabric.  I have done parfait dyeing before so I experimented this time with 2 things--color and folding.

I think it is very easy to see that the material was folded or scrunched differently in each piece.  Even in a parfait piece, how it goes in the container makes a huge difference in the final results.  I certainly think that is something to be mindful of when dyeing fabric for a particular project.

Rather than to use multiple colors, I decided to try a Black Magic Gradation.  So, the first color was a weak teal solution, next a stronger teal solution, then a strong solution, a strong solution with a little black and last a strong teal with lots of black.  I like the idea but there is so much white left in the fabric that I don't get really see the gradation I wanted to see.  That is my fault I think.  I only let it sit for a couple of hours and I twisted some of those pieces pretty tight.

Anyway, here are the close ups of each piece flapping in the breeze.




2 comments:

  1. I tried some parfait dyeing tonight - 3 different variations with 3 types of folding/scrunching, using Rosalita's directions exactly. I'm really (really!) pleased with the results!

    I like your gradations of one colour idea - I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome. I suppose you could overdye with a pale solution of the teal. If it were scrunched differently, you would still have some white, but some would be filled in with colour that doesn't compromise the rest.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.