A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, May 8, 2017

Coiled Fabric Vessels


To begin, I have to give credit to my friend Sherrie Spangler for turning me on to making coiled fabric bowls.  I have admired them for a long time, but Sherrie posted a couple of easy-to-follow tutorials on her blog sherriequilt.blogspot.com that got me started on my way.  If you have never tried making these bowls, I encourage you to visit her blog and search on coiled bowls… great way to get a start on using up the ever-growing fabric stash!
Here are a few examples of what I have made over the past 5 years or so:
Bowl with autumn leaves



Oval bowl

Multicolor bowl w/medallion


Covered bowl with fluted edges



Bowl with leaves and medallion


Seed pot with feathers

These are just some examples of what I have made… some with a variety of scraps, some with hand dyed fabric, some with fabric purchased specifically for the project.



After following Sherrie’s tutorial for a while, I found two books that helped me to expand my skill set to include more than just round bowls.  The first book is “It’s a Wrap II” by Susan Breier.  I got this book in July, 2013 and it taught me how to make different shapes, and how to make lids as well as some neat new ways to finish the bowls with medallions, loops and other finishes.  Sometime in 2014, I found the book “Sewing Pottery by Machine” by Barbara Warholic, and her techniques took me to a whole new level.  I will be reviewing both books later this week if you are interested in learning about them. Meanwhile, I would love to hear from you if you have tried making bowls or have any questions or comments about the topic.  Happy coiling!


11 comments:

  1. I love your bowls but that seed pot is just amazing. It's the one I like the best of all the ones I've seen (and not just here on the blog either). Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your bowls and pots! I have made several but you inspire me to take it up a notch. Now I want to try glitter tulle and fabric together. Let's add some bling. :) Oh, and some shiny fabric! :)
    Thanks, Christina in FL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a book but haven't tried. You have raised the bar and taken them up to an whole new level. Remarkable work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, all! I really love making these, and never tire of trying new shapes & sizes. And the facebook I joined has a whole community of bowl makers who continue to inspire me. Give it a try, and I'm sure you will love it too!

      Delete
  4. You have taken the bowls so far beyond what I've been doing! I love your shapes and texture. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coiling too. I now use ripped strps of my painted fabrics over paper coir as well, however i started with embroidery threads and waxed linen around jute! i took a class at the Academy of Arts in Honolulu in 198something and although i had a cast on my right arm (roller skating crash), i learned so much from Fern Jacobs. She is an amazing artist, her sculptures and vessels worth visiting.
    Your baskets are wonderful and I thank you for posting your fabric arts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love making these too! I try to only use scraps, rescued, found, & thrifted fabrics/linens/clothing, and it's amazing that there will never be a shortage of suitable materials! I have a shop on Etsy where I sell these: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/PrairieThreads I'm interested in the facebook group you mentioned in a comment--what is the name of the group? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your kind comments! And if you are interested in joining the facebook group, search on "cotton rope bowls mats and bags" and it will bring you a link.

      Delete
  7. I have both the books and made quite a few lidded and unlidded pots and bowls but must admit I haven't made any for a while now. You can see them under the fabric pots category on my blog https://carvingtimefromlife.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful examples of pots and bowls, Mrs G! Thank you for sharing your work... I have bookmarked your blog so I can explore further!

      Delete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.