A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Fabric Collage

"Study in Contrast"
After I had been making my “Shabby  Chic” scarves for awhile, I decided to try using the technique to create a fabric collage.  I love mixing textures and fabrics and layering them, as I did to make the scarves, so why not use the same technique to create a wall hanging?  I could see that there would be some slight modifications needed.  For instance, instead of sandwiching the fibers between layers of Sulky solvy, I started by using fabric for the bottom layer, and then I placed other fabrics, yarns and ribbons on top.  Then I pinned a piece of Sulky solvy on top.  Then I grid stitched the layers together, rinsed out the Sulky solvy, and dried the collage.  Once it was dry, I pressed it with a pressing cloth (didn’t want the metallic fibers to melt!), then I fused it to a heavy weight stabilizer, bound it and suspended by yarn loops on a piece of Juniper wood from the wood pile.
I have done a couple other pieces using this technique:
"Meandering"
This one is very similar to the first.

"Study in Copper"


This one is larger, and I suspended it on a Café rod.

I really love this technique, and I’m sure there are many ways to use it for other fun projects.  I have one more to show you, so be sure to check my next post!

2 comments:

  1. Such a neat idea. I especially like the lower piece. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.