A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Snow-Dyed Shibori - Some Results (1)


In my first session of shibori snow dyeing, I experimented with arashi and itajime shibori. I was very pleased by the results. Here are some of the fabrics that I got:





 As I noted in an earlier post, I tend to work fairly monocromatically, not using too many colors on each piece of fabric. As a result, I tend to get fabrics where the color contrasts are not too great. Those are the kinds of results I prefer.

One thing I noticed in doing snow dyed shibori is that the resulting fabric appears less crystalline than when using other methods of preparing the fabric for snow dyeing. Here’s a piece in which the fabric was crumpled. The crystalline patterns are more apparent.


5 comments:

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.