A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Snow-Dyed Shibori: Methods for Preparing Your Fabrics (2)


After seeing some intriguing pictures of fabric that had been dyed using plastic whiffle balls, I decided to purchase some of these balls and experiment using them with the snow dyeing process. I bought whiffle balls in two sizes and played with different ways of incorporating them into my fabric.

Below are some photos of the balls tied into my fabric.

In all cases, I used a combination of rubber bands and string to tie my whiffle balls into the fabric. I experimented with tying some of the balls inside the fabric and others outside the fabric. I also experimented with the placement of the balls, trying to create straight lines or curved patterns. I also wanted to see what would happen if I used different sizes of balls in the same piece.




  
I will show you the results in a later post.

3 comments:

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.