What Works For Me
- Use several buckets for rinsing. The first rinse water will have a heavy concentration of rust. The subsequent rinses will be less contaminated.
- Dilute the rusty water with fresh water. You want it to be more clean water than rusty water.
- Pour the diluted water on a weed patch in the back alley. This patch of weeds is away from other ornamental plants and trees. I do this if I have a large amount of rusty waste water to dispose of.
- Or pour the diluted water down the drain. I will do this if I've done a small rusting session.
- Save some in plastic jugs for soaking fabric.
Here Is What I Don't Do
- Pour rusty water on ornamental or edible plants. The excess iron in the water will kill the plants. I know this from experience!
- Pour undiluted water down the drain. Not sure about this, but I don't want to introduce too much iron content into the municipal sewer system.