A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Originality-Making Your Own Stencils-Continued

ORIGINALITY-MAKING YOUR OWN STENCILS-CONTINUED-by Deborah Babin

STENCILS

Often times, as I am working on an art piece I realize I need to stop. This is something I embrace. I have learned that at any given moment it is possible to come to a point where I do not know what the next step is. In my early years this was bothersome; however, now I know that this is likely and I accept it. I put the work aside and think about it for a while. Typically I re direct my attention to another piece; this is a cyclical process. If I do not think of new ideas for the piece within a reasonable time, then I put it aside...it goes into a bin...a waiting room, so to speak. I never know when I will come back to it; but, eventually I do. And, when I do, I am excited to see it and I usually know exactly what to do next. 

Many times I add paint; either by direct application, painted stencils and/or stamps. 

Recently, I made a new kind of stencil.


Another solution I have for pieces in the waiting room bin is to cut them up, re-stitch and add on; this is VERY gratifying for me.

Example



Recently, I began to stitch pieces of fabric together and came up with this combination. I did not like the results very much, but I knew there was something interesting happening within. I put it aside and after a few days I decided to extract a section. (see yellow outline)

I use strips of mat board to block off areas and examine them; and, sure enough, I saw an area I liked. I cut it out and refined it a bit. The result was good and now I can preceed.  



I decided that the open areas needed details. I liked the linear stripes on the left panel that are printed on the fabric; it is good to repeat motifs. To do this I placed torn strips of green painters tape to mimic the white horizontal stripes.



Then I painted within the spaces of tape with shades of gray acrylic paint.



I am happy with the results. These new motifs are perfect for stitching. 



The remaining open areas have been painted with other stencils, which I will detail in my next post.



1 comment:

  1. Any way to get yesterday's video to work for those of us who get the message 'This video is private'. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.