A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, February 29, 2016

My Fugitive Jungle


This is from Judith DeMilo Brown from 2011. This may look

 like printed cloth but no, she drew this herself and then....



I have been playing around with doodles for a while.  Here is

 the biggest and latest doodle.  The piece is a fat half of 

cotton and is destined as a prize on "And then they set it on

 fire."



First I started off with white cloth that I doodled with a black 


gel pen--nothing special--not meant for fabric. Whenever I 

would stop, I would iron it to try and heat set the ink.




Then I colored it in with water-soluble pencils.  I used them

 both dry and dipped into water.  Not too much water cause 

that would make the gel pen ink blur.  Kept ironing it too.




When I was done coloring it, I brushed it with print paste to

 bond the ink and pencil to the fabric. That made the colors 

and ink a bit more fuzzy.  When that had dried I gave it a coat

of very diluted blue Setacolor to blend the colors and 

background.  When it was dry and with much trepidation I 

threw it into the washing machine.  VOILA!  The inks/colors

stayed!!  You can not believe how excited I was over that! 

 Last step was to put a little smooch in spots to give a little 

shine.

First piece I have finished to this extent.  I need much more


 practice but I am pleased by the experiment.  Yep, tonight I 

expect a second piece will get started.

5 comments:

  1. Cool! I wonder if you needed the print paste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming surface treatment. I have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Per Sue above, there are so many textile mediums suitable for printing, what was used here?

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.