I took a class with Hollis Chatelaine a few years ago and did this picture of my daughter and our dog. I like it, but I never finished it because I wanted to make it bigger and never could decide how best to do that.
Hollis had me mix the dye for my daughter's skin darker than I would have, assuring me that "it will come out much lighter than you think." She was right about that. But I hadn't really worked with portraits and/or pre-mixed dyes much. I'm not crazy about DD's eyes, but Hollis assured me that a lot can be "fixed in the quilting."
Lately, I have been working on a series of quilts for a show this winter with Madison Contemporary Fiber Artists. This was painted with thickened dyes on cotton. I just finished the quilting. I used a bit of foil over MistyFuse to make the beetle shiny.
And this is the fourth piece in the hibiscus series. I mentioned it here earlier -- here is a link to the process: http://cre8tivekick.blogspot.com/2012/08/tell-all-scoop-on-resistdye-painting.html
I used a flour resist and painted the thickened dye over it. Again, I used the foil thing for the beetle.