Monday, May 11, 2015

screen printing Day 1 with Luann

(Luann Fisher is blogging this week on her experiments with deconstructed screen printing. She blogs at Let's Create Today.)

On my first day, I thickened my dye solution with sodium alginate. I followed the directions that came with the product. I over thickened a couple of them, but was able to add extra water to get them to move a bit. This may have been one of the reasons that some of my dye colors didn’t turn out to be as dark as I had wanted them. I also put fabric into soda ash solution to soak. Some were previously dyed and thoroughly rinsed and washed. But most were new and pfd.


I placed my screens on pieces of insulation board. I put textural items into the thickened dye that was spread onto some of the screens. Other screens I drew on with the thickened dyes.



The screens were left to dry overnight. Fabric was squeezed out and also left to dry overnight.

5 comments:

  1. Your screen look non-traditional. How did you make them or if you bought them, how are they made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth--I had the same question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made them. Most are made using screen printing fabric I purchased at an art supply shop, mat boards from a chain store, and duct tape from the hardware store. I found that if I made an ample edge around the 'fabric' I could even do them without the mat board. I did make two of the more conventional types, but I really like 'not' having a well to reach over.
    Thank you for the opportunity to share.
    Luann

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. Glad to clarify. If you have any questions in the future, don't hesitate to ask.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you and even better have some links to your work!