A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Last one....

As some of you may know, I've been having computer problems (it's still living with The Geek Squad), so I've had virtually no computer access as work doesn't allow most entertaining type sites.

But I managed to do this: show the last thing I made with transfer paints/disperse dyes in this sad little un-retouched photo taken in bad lighting on a rainy day with my phone!

Later, when I have access to both my computer and the pictures on it, I'll edit this post with a better pic, but for this one, I cut out the shapes on my papers and ironed away - and got some great effects which are not necessarily apparent on this photo.

So, learnings:

1.  Unlike some of the others, I didn't use kits, nor did I use transperse paints.  I used transFER paints pre-mixed and disperse dyes that I mixed myself to the following recipe:

 tsp for a pale value
2 tsps for a medium value
4 tsps for a dark value; and
8 tsps for black

mixing the dye with 1/2 cup boiling water and a drop or two of synthrapol.  For watercolour effects on paper, thinning with another 1/2 cup of water

These gave great, results time after time, with no smell and virtually no mess. What mess there was, was easily cleaned up.
2. Using these mixtures and the pre-mixed transfer paints, I had the best results, by far, using art paper rather than bond (photocopy) paper

3.  The higher the value of man-made material in the cloth, the better the result was, with 100% polyester "silk" turning out the best result

4. A very sheer polyester tulle had great results with printing on both sides showing through

5.  These mixtures can also be mixed with thickener paste thinly mixed for paper, or using a thicker paste for printing, stamping or stencilling on paper very well.

6. Cutting out shapes and/or using resists gives really lovely results as well.

Overall, this is a technique that I will use again - there are some results I got that I have been unable to get with any other technique. If I were making a bed quilt, I would be hesitant about using this technique as there is some prejudice about using polyester/man made fabric in bed quilts  - but for art pieces, I have no compunction using it. 

I was pleased with both the learning curve for this technique (my first days with it were sad and pitiful!) and the results I got, as well as what I learned.

Don't forget, if you try this technique - come back and tell us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.