Monday, July 4, 2016

Boring Quilt Top - part 2

After screen printing some designs on the top, and washing it, I decided to get out my batik wax and some plexiglass circles that I bought years ago and wax-resisted several circle shapes all over the quilt top.




Then I dyed the whole thing using Procion Stormy Grey color. Here it is after the dye bath, the circles aren't as prominent as I had hoped. In fact, they hardly showed up. I have to admit that I did this dyeing back in December, and the conditions in my basement weren't that great for a good dye job.


This picture was taken in bright sunlight last month, and I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with this...

And by now, this quilt top is starting to fall apart at the seams-- check out the fraying going on in these pictures of the back.  Dyeing a couple of times, then throwing it in the washing machine has really caused some problems.




I still like it, but I'll probably end up cutting it up and using parts for various projects.


Would you ever try this with a quilt top you've already quilted?  It would definitely hold up better, being less likely to fall apart or fray...

Happy Independence Day, America!







2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I would have the courage to do this.
    But I do like the result.
    Cutting it up for other pieces might be interesting....

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you and even better have some links to your work!