A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, November 13, 2015

Parfait

Today I am showing you how to create a parfait or layered dyeing. For this I use a glass vase - easier for the pictures, but of course you can use a container or a bucket as well and 4 fq's of cotton fabric. The fabric was presoaked and labelled with small pieces of Tyvek marked 1 up to 4. First a small container was placed into the vase to create a raised platform.


The first piece of fabric was crunched and place on top of the raised platform.


This was covered with some snow.


Dye powder was sprinkled on it


And this was covered with a bit of snow.


This process was repeated till the vase was full.



The colors I used were:
1- Brazilnut (Dharma)
2- Marigold (Dharma)
3- Watermelon (ProChem)
4- Razzledazzle (Dharma)

The vase was left like this till the next morning. After rinsing, washing and ironing this is how the fabric turned out:

 fabric 1:

fabric 2: 


fabric 3:


fabric 4:


The above fabrics are created with snow. I repeated the whole process with ice cubes using the following dye powders:
1-Robin's Egg Blue (Dharma)
2- Better Blue Green (Dharma)
3- Tangerine (a pure color)
4- Dragon Fruit (Dharma).
And here are the fabrics:

fabric 1:


fabric 2:



fabric 3:


fabric 4:


As you see this technique can be done both with snow or with ice. If I had not marked them, I would not have been able to say which medium I used.

6 comments:

  1. I have found that when I used yellow or orange dye powders for ice/snow dyeing they had a tendency to be gummy and not dissolve as well as other colors did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Wil! I haven't tried parfait dyeing in awhile... time to find a nice, tall container!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done a lot of parfait dyeing but never with snow or ice. I love the look you get this way. Next time it snows will definitely give it a try. But after last winter I hope never to see snow again! Maybe will have to go out and buy a bag of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I never had that. Is it possible that age has something to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great results Wil. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful results Wil. Can't wait to start with the ice-dying again. It is addictive.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.