A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Mandala

You can call this mandala dyeing or clamped shibori. I used small pieces of fabric 10"x10", but of course you can do this with bigger pieces as well. I folded the squares in different ways and used binder clips to keep them in these shapes:



Soaked them in soda ash and placed them on a raised platform in a bucket.



Put ice cubes on them and sprinkled dye powders. I used Plum, Deep Purple and Amethyst (all G&K)
and let them batch till the next day.


If you remain in the same area, it is best to cover the dyepowder with some more ice or put a lid on the container. You do not want to inhale the powder.

Next day the fabric was rinsed, washed and ironed and this is how they turned out:





I did not mark which fabric I folded in which way as I do not mind a surprise. In next blogpost I will show you how you can do this with dye cubes.

5 comments:

  1. These turned out great! Have they been washed out completely in these photos?
    Did you really wait till after they were folded to soak them in soda ash solution?
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! Like those fun clips too. Looking forward to learning about dye cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Diane, tge fabric gas been washed and ironed. I find it easier to fold and clamp the fabric when dry. Ann, if I am not mistaken I got these clips at Office Depot.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.