A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Friday, March 6, 2015
Another Line Added to the First Experiment
Still not great but getting better. I learned that whether I am putting pressure on the plunger or not, the thickened dye will ooze out. So I started using a drip rag to wipe the tip of the syringe between drawing with it. That helped. I also tried starting off the edge of the fabric so the blob would be somewhere else. That also helped but it is not always a choice. I was not particularly pleased with the quality of the line. Too thin for the emphasis I wanted to give the flower. Now the syringe I was using is the kind of syringe with the really tiny curved tip. I might have gotten better results with a syringe with a larger opening--like a syringe for giving children their liquid medicine. But I think I may be done using a fine tipped syringe.
Here is the daylily painting with the added dark line. I do like it better. Not perfect but better. And here are some detail pictures.
You know, putting much more emphasis on the flower even makes the more impressionistic background look a little better. However, the black lines in the background should just disappear. What a mistake! They only emphasis the stems and leaves going no where. Didn't need/want that level of clarity for the background.