A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Practice, Practice, Practice

 I don't think I would have summoned up the nerve to paint with acrylics on fabric if I hadn't already been trying out  techniques on paper and canvas. I think it's made it a bit easier with working out how my particular paints work - the texture, colour mixing , how they dry and if it goes wrong you can just paint over it and start again   Unlike fabrics , you can go back in  and correct things and build up layers so there has been a degree of unlearning to do!
I've particularly benefitted from  painting holidays with Susan Gray in Slapton.   She's given me a lot of advice  and  intrigued by my wish to work on fabric, has  really pushed me to experiment. Also to look critically at my work - sometimes you have to get rid of or alter the bits you really like for the sake of the whole composition.
So  here's some of my non- fabric acrylic  painting of the sea  done on those courses - I really miss not having done it this year.


 
 Painting in situ ( above) and first stages back in the studio ( below)

 Painting a board with colour beforehand is I suppose a bit like using coloured fabrics! Before and after. above and below
 
  Rocks in different styles in different years - I prefer the more abstract one above, it's very easy to get too involved in making it look realistic

 
 
In my next post I'll be looking at using old quilts as a canvas.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your paintings Kelly. As a watercolour artist and textile artist, I appreciate seeing how your different media influences you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your postings are so inspirational, Mags. Thank you for all the information you are sharing with us all. Not yet tried the gesso on fabric though I bought some last year.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.