Wednesday, July 24, 2013

No Strings Attached Shibori - Part Deux



As I mentioned in my previous post, I planned an over-dye session, so I wasn't really concerned when three turned out kind of boring.


This becomes much more interesting after a second trip through.


The patterning is so much better after the over-dyeing.

These were half yard cuts of my usual mercerized cotton fabric.  I mixed up a half cup of dye for each with about a teaspoon or less of dye powder.  I soaked the fabric in soda and wrung it dry in my washer before I wrapped the poles.  The fabric was still slightly damp when I added the dye -- I've found that this works better with damp rather than dry fabric -- the dye seems to spread more easily.

I laid the pipe with scrunched fabric on a plastic surface (the lid to a large plastic tub) and slowly poured the dye over the fabric.  I rolled the fabric in the dye that pooled on the surface and rubbed with my gloved hands to make sure that the dye was fairly evenly distributed. 
I would have gotten much different results had I dipped the pipes or used stronger dye solutions -- something to try on a different day.  And another trip through the land of wrapping and dyeing for these guys is not out of the question.

2 comments:

  1. You are right in that the over-dyed ones are much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you and even better have some links to your work!