A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The technique



This is a Janome Needle Felting Machine. I bought this when they first came out and were much cheaper than they are now. Sometimes they are referred to as Embellishers.


It came with a brace of 5 needles. These are not replaceable if broken. I broke one of the five a while ago and just decided to use the four. While making this piece I broke a second needle so I'm down to three. You CAN buy another brace which has replaceable needle but it costs $50.00. I don't use this enough to warrant buying a new brace of needles. As you can see each needle has it's own hole. It looks like a sewing machine but there is no thread and no bobbin. Where a bobbin would normally be is a small catchment for fibers that are broken loose during the felting process.






The "finger guard" is in place. I can't imagine running 5 barbed needles through my finger. OUCH!



I placed a bit of roving on the wool batting and started to felt. You start the machine then move the wool backing (batting). You never stop the machine either with the needles in the down position or on the backing (batting). I run the backing (batting)  right out from under MOVING needles.







Here is the piece after needle felting. I also used ribbon. Friday I will show the piece finished.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours! You mentioned that you don't use the machine that much, is it because you prefer wet felting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same machine and I also broke a needle. I don't use it much so I just cut the broken needle off. It is my understanding that there is a replacement needle attachment that uses replaceable needles. I was going to get one several years ago but I didn't. If I start doing my hair needle felting again I might order that part. This really looks like your needle felting segment is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the needle felting accessory for my Bernina and want to do more to incorporate needle felting into my fibre art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a Pfaff embellisher a few years ago, and you can replace each needle separately. I didn't realize that all embellishing machines weren't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cath, I would be much more likely to do wet felting although with a machine it is a quick do

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.