First, I dyed a fat quarter with a mixture of blues and purples, I didn't measure and didn't record which ones. I used the dye concentrates (1 T of dye powder + 2 T of Urea + enough water to make one cup of liquid) that I made up previously. Since it was a small piece of fabric I used only 1/4 cup of each liquid in the process--1/4 cup water to wet the fabric, 1/4 cup of water with the chosen dye concentrates to dye the fabric, and lastly, 1/4 cup of soda ash mixture to set the dye. Wait one hour and here are my results. I love the mottling.
The second piece was a two-yard length of fabric that will become the front and back of a baby quilt for my new great-nephew. I wanted it dyed a strong yellow so that I could batik several layers of blue over it. Because I want bright colors, I did not want any red mixed in my yellow dye (the red would have dulled the green from the blue and yellow mix). That really limited the yellows that I could use since most of them have an orange hue to them. I used lots of lemon yellow and just a drop of sun yellow concentrate. I took more pictures this time.
1. One pure color is going to create a more flat color.
2. Multiple pure colors, even if they are very similar, produce a more mottled, interesting fabric.
3. I love LWI dyeing.