A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, February 11, 2013

More snow dyes

I couldn't resist the fresh, powdery snow outside today, so I dyed some more - a couple scrunches and a couple I did with simple folds.  The first two are the folds, and I used some liquid dyes of undetermined ages.  
I keep them stored in the garage, and they were frozen when I brought them into the house, so I figured I was safe using them!  Here are the folded pieces:
This is a simple accordion fold where I folded the piece in half then accordion folded the double thickness. 

This piece was folded in half, then I loosely swirled the fabric before adding the snow.  Both pieces were placed in a plastic storage bin, then the snow was added, then dyes added randomly using a measuring cup with a spout.  Here's what the bin looked like:
I used Turquoise, Fuschia, Soft Orange, Orchid and Deep Purple on the pieces above.
 Next, I scrunched a couple of pieces of fabric, placed in another container, added the snow, then sprinkled dye powders:
Here is the second bin, batching.

Here is one of the two pieces from the second batch

And here is the second piece.
I used Golden Yellow, Soft Orange, Hot Pink, Robin's Egg Blue and Moss Green on the two pieces above.
I batched both bins for about 6 hours, plenty of time to allow the snow to melt and the dyes to bond to the fabrics.
I have about 4 more pieces of fabric that I plan to snow dye over the next couple of days.  I may do at least one with just a single color, just to see how it comes out.  Normally, I  combine several colors, but I'm in 'play' mode, so can't hurt to try something different!  Oh, and I think I may do a parfait snow dye as well, just to see how it comes out compared to my multi-color versions of single layer dyeing!
On another note, I promised to try and finish a project this month using some of my dyed fabrics from the first couple of posts, and I'm happy to say I am well on my way to having a piece ready soon, so be patient just a little while longer!


  1. Beautiful results! LOVE the interesting patterns that developed. Could replace the inkblot test :-)

  2. I LOVE the swirled piece. I'd REALLY have trouble cutting into that one.

  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the parfait. I was intrigued after reading the article in Quilting Arts, but haven't tried it yet.


Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.