Wednesday, November 21, 2012

An introduction to Kelly Hendrickson

Kelly had me hooked on the first post I read. I think I found her because she left a comment on my blog????? Any way, I became a fan when I saw this experiment.  Very clever and unique.

Weekly Creativity - Week 6 - Large Screen Prints

While I have a "regular" sized screen for printing, I was excited when I read somewhere about how to make large screens...especially for more organic forms.  I so wish I could remember where I saw it so I could give credit to the person from whom I learned this technique.  If you know...please post it in Comments below!

The "screen" is made from organza taped at the edges.  Lesson for next time:  It is pretty much a two people job...at least for me it would have helped to have an extra pair of hands!  The organza shifted at a breath and the duck tape has a very permanent stickiness!!  But I kept on and finally got a fairly workable screen.

The completed "screen"

I then got out my Golden Matte Medium to spread in a rather haphazard manner onto the screen.  I put it all on top of some packing paper so I could just throw that away when it was done.  Lesson for next time: Don't even TRY to use a plastic spoon!  The sturdy wooden one worked MUCH better.

The medium

With the gel medium spread onto the organza screen, it needed to dry very well. I hung it up to dry overnight.

Drying the screen

When it was very very dry, the medium is quite sturdy...at least so far.  I used the duck tape again to lace a spare piece of  fabric down onto my painting surface. It needs to be very stable I think.  The first printing was made with light blue acrylic paint applied with a squeegie thingie.  Lesson for next time: It does take a good bit of acrylic to cover this size.  I had to get out another small bottle. 

First painted layer print

I then removed the screen to see just how the printing went.

Screen removed

Mainly because I used acrylic paints, the screen had to be rinsed right away. I just filled my sink enough to cover it and soaked it for a minute, then used the sink sprayer to get all the paint off.

Screen Rinsing

I then repeated the printing process with two different colors of green.  I rather like the effect.....kind of like peeling paint.  I especially like the part over the clocks.  

Printing completed with second layer of two greens

Clock detail

And the screen is very much usable again! I'm not sure how many times it will last but it has already been worth the effort.  Now I want to try making a large screen like this but use a more regular pattern or form stamped with the gel medium.  


I have made small screens with cardboard "frames" but THIS was a whole new adventure!! Welcome to the FIRE blog Kelly. This is going to be an exciting year.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great idea, welcome Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice with a good result

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this technique PLUS the added "make a quicky screen" idea for even more applications.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting!Another thing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun -- I like working with large sizes, this looks like a good way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, I'm glad you have joined us! I have not done nearly enough with screens, so I am intrigued by your experiments, and hope we get a chance to 'play' with them next year!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you and even better have some links to your work!