Sunday, May 6, 2012
Here is the finished fabric. It is a monoprint because I used a matrix to make the design.
I made a collage out of buttons like Rebekah suggested in her book. I hot glued the buttons onto a sheet of fun foam. I decided to do it on the fun foam so that it would be more flexible to accommodate different button heights.
Because I only wanted to print the buttons and not the background, I trimmed the edges of the fun foam.
I first tried a fabric paint but it did not work well. I think the paint was just too thick. I tried just some thinner craft acrylic paint and it worked fine. Here is the paint on an acrylic plate I used as a palette.
I dabbed paint onto the buttons using a foam brush. You can see where I have already printed it onto the fabric once or twice already.
If you take a really good look at the finished piece you will see a couple of different types of marks. First I turned the fun foam upside down and stamped it on the fabric. That got the paint off the high part of the buttons. After I did that for a while, I noticed a build up of paint in the middle of the buttons where it was lower and around the edges of the buttons. So then I put the fun foam face up on the table, put the fabric on top, and patted it with my hands to get the low places.
I printed on dry fabric but I think it would have taken the paint a bit better if the fabric had been slightly damp.
Just a couple more pictures of the fabric in process.