I had this monoprint that I overdyed with a flour resist pushed through a stencil. I like the colors, but it doesn't really stand on its own. I took some of my vast stash of turquoise and cut thin and not-so-thin strips.
I know, Kathy's (very good) instructions said to use skinny strips, but I had to try it both ways -- more on this decision below.
I also took some bits of the Caribbean-colored hand-dyes I did recently. I found that ironing them open made them easier to stitch.
This is my "finished" piece (for today anyway) -- I think that the thinnest strips look the best. They're not any more difficult to sew and they don't look clunky like the thicker strips. And I still don't like the orange/blue stripe. I'm thinking that this is one of those things that may never be finished -- as long as there is enough fabric to cut and sew back together.