A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, November 21, 2011

More experiments and play

So, for this piece, I took some of my dried painted papers, cut them into the above designs, laid them on my cloth, and then ironed a yellow-green painted paper over top of them to achieve the above result.  I think I'm going to go over it again with a green and/or blue paper as well to get a more nuanced result.

For this piece, I cut some papers into triangle shapes and ironed them onto a piece of cloth for a cute piece of fabric. More, after the jump:

I love this piece of fabric and the painted paper it comes from for its water-like effect.  The paper was first painted with pale blue, and then, while still wet with green and then darker blue, after which I combed the still-wet paint.

The paper for this fabric was first painted with orange, and while still wet, layered over with a fuschia-mix and a few drops of blue, through which I "finger-painted". 

On this one I did a yellow base on the paper, poured black and brown mix on top, and then "scribbled' with my finger through the paint.


  1. Oooh -- I love the sprockets! And the triangles. I'm going to have to play around with cutout shapes this weekend.

  2. I think you are now rocking and rolling with this technique. I love these results. When Bletchley Park is finished (ho hum) I might break out my transfer paints!


  3. @Karen - the cut out shapes are a lot of fun - I like the possibilities of it - even on pre-dyed man-made fabrics.

    Hillary - when you do, be sure to limk your results!


Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.