A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Permanent Colored Pencils

I get a magazine called Machine Quilting Unlimited (the March issue arrived today) and there's an article in it about a technique called Colorque (pronounced Color Kay for those of us who don't speak French) written by Helen Stubbings. I googled her and came up with a tutorial she put on her blog, here's a link to it.

She uses Derwent Inktense Pencils and regular fabric medium, Folk Art Textile medium that you can get at Joann's or Michael's. Her article in Machine Quilting Unlimited also has a free design to use. If I can find the pencils at one of the craft stores, I think I'll give this technique a try!

2 comments:

  1. Yep. I got them. I have used them. I'll try to dig up the pictures. Not excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine at an art supply store. I find the Folk Art brand textile medium a bit thick and leaves the hand of the fabric a little "plasticy" Since I like to quilt after I colour I prefer to use JoSonya's Textile medium. But even the clear Aloe Vera gel works as well. Just so many ways for us to play.!!!!
    Helen's work is Gorgeous, thanks for sharing the link

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.