A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Psychology of Color

I am certainly no expert on the psychology of color but I do love color and have spent a good deal of time "feeling" the colors I work with. I did do a bit of a search for the feelings associated with certain colors. I believe the reaction most people have to color is pretty much universal. 
The colors I have chosen to use on this piece are blue and green. There will be two square or areas of color with blue on the top and green on the bottom. The horizontal line connecting the two will denote that stability and "downward pressure" or rest I am looking for.
Here are a few of the comments from a website called Color Wheel Pro

Green:
Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, and fertility. Green has a strong emotional correspondence with safety. Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for the human eye; it can improve vision. Green suggests stability and endurance.  Green is directly related to nature.

I am using green on the bottom to suggest the earth, coolness and growth. The obvious suggestion of a landscape is intentional.

Blue:
Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability.Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness.

I think the use of these colors in the horizontal orientation will help create the feeling of stability and rest I am trying to evoke.

Now on to materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.