A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Shibori and Dye Na Flow

Lynda here again. One of the techniques I wanted try in Cheryl Rezendes' Fabric Surface Design book was using Dye-Na-Flow with folding techniques or shibori. She called the chapter Fold and Color.

I've tried these techniques with Indigo dye, but never with Dye-Na-Flow. So here we go.

I folded the fabric the following three ways: flag, accordian, and jelly roll.

Below is the flag fold. After folding it and securing with rubber bands, I used pipettes to drop three different Dye-Na-Flow colors on the fabric. You can find directions for flag folding and the other folds on the web. Her book has illustrations for these and other folds.




Once I was happy with the colors I let the pieces sit for 24 hours or until they were dry.


Once dry, I opened them up and ironed them for three minutes on the back side of the fabric.

And here are my results.

Flag Fold
Accordion Fold



Jelly Roll Fold

My favorite of the three was the jelly roll. Using Dye-Na-Flow was easy. This would be a fun project for kids using bandanas or tshirts.

I must admit, my Indigo dye pieces were much more impressive. However, this was easy and fast. I will redo this project again with different colors. These came out a bit brighter than I would have liked them.

Dye-Na-Flow is a great product to quickly add background color to fabric. I also love using it with sun printing. Be sure and stop back by in June when we'll spend the whole month blogging about different ways to sun print.

Do you use Dye-Na-Flow? I'd love to hear your favorite ways to play with it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Lynda! I have not tried shibori with Dye-Na-Flo, but it looks like a great way for people to try shibori without having to invest in all the dyes or indigo ingredients. I haven't done too much yet with Dye-Na-Flo but look forward to June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used Dye-Na-Flow...might have to try this sometime...seems easier then Mx dyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie, It is much easier than fiber reactive dyes. However, as one who loves the dyes, you don't get the same results but a great way to get started in dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This summer I hope to try out some of the great techniques with paints and dyes you ladies have been doing. I need to do it out side to keep the mess down or at least contained to the garage.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.