A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Initial dyeing

Acid dyeing wool is so fast and easy but of course getting the color you are looking for isn't as easy. I knew I would have a difficult time with the accuracy of the dyes so I will experiment with needle felting roving and fabric on top to get the color and dimensionality I am looking for.



I started with a felted wool blanket. Wish I could find more of these but they are getting hard to find.



Two square in different sizes. The larger will be for the top of the piece.



Soaking in a bath of vinegar water. The vinegar is the "acid' mordant of the acid dye





Of course I waited til I used the mixed dye before taking the picture. I mixed the yellow with drops of blue to make the green.



In an oven proof dish in the vinegar and dye bath. Now I just have to cover with cling film and punch some holes to allow the steam to escape.



Five minutes on 50% power should do it.



This is the blue


I know they seem a bit bright but I will tone them down and correct the color with needle felting.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, felted wool blanket is definetely hard to find, and seeing these great results, you know eactly why we are looking for them!!!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.